The Queensland Government has a range of programs and services that support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families.
The Department of Education:
- provides additional subsidies for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children to attend kindergarten
- delivers kindergarten in remote communities
- supports the Deadly Kindies program in South-East Queensland
- funds organisations who provide culturally safe early childhood and family support services
- provides resources to early childhood educators to deliver a quality program Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
Kindergarten (kindy) is a part-time educational program for children in the year before school. The
kindy calculator will let you know when your little one can start kindy.
Kindergarten fees vary depending on the service. Low or no cost kindy is available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families. Contact your local kindy or long day care centre to find out more about their fees.
When looking for
an early childhood service in your area and look for the kindy tick.
Kindy in remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
Children in remote communities can access kindy through a range of settings, including the local school and childcare centre. Find out if
your community is taking part.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children living in South East Queensland and Townsville can receive a
Deadly Kindy Kit if they have a health check at a participating Aboriginal Medical Service and enroll in kindy.
Early Years Places
Early Years Places support families with children aged from birth to eight years of age. Families can access multiple services, or referrals to specialist services, including playgroup, early childhood education and care, health services, and family and parenting support.
Foundations for Success
Foundations for Success is an online resource to help early childhood education and care services to deliver a quality early learning program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
For more services and support visit the
Queensland Government website.