Starting school is an important milestone in a child's life.
Supporting children to successfully transition to school helps foster their enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
A child's transition to school experience starts well before, and extends far beyond, their first day.
Families and carers play a significant role in supporting the transition to school and you can start preparing your child well before their first day of school.
By working together, early childhood services, schools, families and relevant community organisations can help children enjoy a great start to school.
Supporting your child's successful transition to school
A successful transition to school is more than a great first day. It is your child feeling welcome, safe and confident in their new school environment. This journey begins well before your child starts school and only ends when they feel a sense of belonging.
As a parent or carer there are lots of different ways you can help your child enjoy a great start to school.
- be ready to support your child
- listen to your child's thoughts about starting school
- make time to talk, read, play and relax with your child
- share your positive feelings about school
- practise new routines
- encourage your child to know how to seek help
- meet new children and families before the first day
- celebrate starting school.
Transition to school resources
Access resources, activities and videos designed to support successful transitions to school.