The Queensland Kindergarten Funding Scheme (QKFS) is designed to assist services with the cost of implementing and delivering an approved kindergarten learning program. To qualify for QKFS funding, a service must be an
Approved Kindergarten Program Provider (KPP).
Long Day Care Services and Kindergarten Services can apply for funding under the QKFS to assist with the cost of delivering an approved kindergarten learning program.
QKFS Funding Category Guidelines before lodging your application.
There are various subsidy payments available under the QKFS, including:
- standard per child subsidy
- rural and remote, and low socio-economic subsidies
- QKFS Plus kindy support subsidy.
The policy intent of providing the QKFS is to improve lifelong learning outcomes and transitions to school for Queensland children, under the National Partnership Agreement on Universal Access to Early Childhood Education.
The QKFS is underpinned by the:
The QKFS also has linkages with the Education and Care Service's National Law and the Education and Care Services National Regulations.
Services must be recognised as a KPP, following an application process, in order to receive QKFS funding.
An approved, quality kindergarten learning program is:
- for children in the year before Prep (i.e. children who are four by 30 June in the year they start)
- delivered for 15 hours a week for 40 weeks, or 600 hours a year
- delivered to support the development of children’s physical, social, intellectual, language and emotional capabilities
- based on the Queensland kindergarten learning guideline, or any alternative kindergarten learning guideline accredited by the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority (QCAA)
- delivered by a qualified early childhood teacher.
Lodging an application
You need to lodge your application to become a KPP via
QGrants, a whole-of-government online grants management system.
KPP approvals will be issued at the end of April and October each year.
Once approved as a KPP, you can submit QKFS claims via QGrants to receive funding from the beginning of the next funding cycle.
How to apply
Information on how to apply for the QKFS for long day care and kindergarten services.
Information for central governing bodies
Find out about the responsibilities for central governing bodies receiving QKFS funding.
Learn about the enrolment requirements that apply to services applying for the QKFS.
Statement of fees requirements
Find out about the requirements for displaying fees for approved kindergarten providers.
Frequently asked questions and information sheets about the QKFS including funding, claims, early childhood teacher qualifications, and kindergarten learning programs.
Disability and inclusion resources
View the resources for disability inclusion support for families and services.