Regulatory priority 5
Good quality educational programming and practice is vital to improving wellbeing, learning and developmental outcomes for children.
It is an offence under section 168 of the National Law for an approved provider or nominated supervisor to fail to ensure that a program is delivered to all children being educated and cared for by the service that is:
- based on an approved learning framework
- delivered in a manner that accords with the approved learning framework
- based on the developmental needs, interests and experiences of each child
- is designed to take into account the individual differences of each child.
Quality Area 1: Educational program and practice and Quality Area 7: Governance and leadership are still the most challenging areas for services to be rated as meeting or exceeding the National Quality Standard. Effective leadership builds and promotes a positive organisational culture and professional learning community (Standard 7.2).
Educators need to have a deep understanding of approved learning frameworks and must ensure their programming is responsive to the individual needs of children attending their service or receiving a virtual program.
Educational leaders are critical to ensuring a service has a quality educational program and practice. They must have appropriate knowledge, skills and experience, the support of service leadership and a clear understanding of their role.
Approved providers must ensure that educational programming is well planned and informed by critical reflection. They must ensure legislative requirements are met and a quality program is provided for children.
The educational leader and educators should regularly reflect on their knowledge and application of the approved learning frameworks and ask themselves:
- Do I have a deep understanding of the approved learning framework relevant to my service type?
- Is the program I am delivering to children consistently engaging, challenging and stimulating every child?
- Am I adaptive in my approach?
- Do I take time to authentically critically reflect on my practice?
- Quality Area 1: Educational program and practice
- Element 7.2.2 Educational leadership
- Section 168 Offence relating to required programs
- Regulation 73 Educational program
- Regulation 254 Declared approved learning frameworks